Why Should Providers Focus on Safe Sleep?
You play an important role for helping parents and caregivers keep their babies healthy. Model safe sleep practices whenever you can and educate parents, grandparents, and caregivers on the importance of safe sleep so you can reduce the risk of Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID).
How to Promote Safe Sleep
Clinicians, community leaders and the media all have a part to play in promoting Safe Sleep. Here’s how to help:
- Know and share the STEPS TO SAFE SLEEP Checklist with everyone who cares for and about our babies!
- Teach and encourage safe sleep at your practice, your workplace, your church, or wherever you reach people. You can even set up a safe sleep display in your workplace using these instructions.
- Model safe sleep by removing items from a crib or Pack ‘n Play, placing baby on his or her back, and using a sleep sack.
- Download and/or order our free media and materials to spread the word.
- Have questions? Want to do even more? Your local Maternal and Child Health Coordinator can help. Find out who to call here.
Steps to Safe Sleep
These steps aren’t always as simple as they sound. Talk to a doctor or nurse for help. Not sure about a step? Find out why each one matters.
Share these important safety tips with EVERYONE you know who cares for and about babies! Download and print the checklist here.
Try to check off as many items as possible!